PHM-Exch> Food for an unapologetic thought

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Fri Aug 27 22:16:52 PDT 2010

Human Rights Reader 247

*HUMAN RIGHTS EMBRACE THE NON-ECONOMIC DIMENSIONS OF DEVELOPMENT*.* *THEY
PROMOTE AND CONSOLIDATE SOCIAL SOLIDARITY. THEY ARE NOT A DISPLAY WINDOW;
THEY ENTAIL A DISTINCT PROGRAM, A FULL-BLOWN MOVEMENT.*

_______

*: The truth is that there are no purely or primarily economic solutions to
human rights problems.

-Human rights is an unapologetic project for social emancipation in which
suffering is related to powerlessness and freedom to living in dignity. (A.
Yamin)

-A dose of religious altruism, of non-religious generosity and just a vague
adherence to human rights will simply not be able to overturn the current
mal-development paradigm.

-It is the shifting from needs to socially and legally guaranteed
entitlements, and from charity to duty and to dignity that underpins human
rights work. (A. Donald, S. Koenig)

For each of us human rights activists, the challenge is: How can the rules
of the new human rights (HR) movement replace our routine? Innovations are
fiercely resisted by some of our peers, precisely because they redefine the
rules they are comfortable operating under.

To read the full Reader, go to

http://wp.me/plAxa-1ca

Claudio