PHM-Exch> For Immediate Release: PRESS STATEMENT OF THE MORONG 43

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Mon Aug 23 22:21:03 PDT 2010

From: CHD ManCom <chdmancom at gmail.com>

*Press Statement by the Morong 43 detainees from Camp Bagong Diwa *

We, the 43 health workers (Morong 43), are on a protest fast since August
21. We denounce the continuing gross violation of our human rights and the
denial of the rule of law on our case. We protest the inhumane and unjust
decision of the lower court to bring Judilyn Oliveros and her baby back to
prison.

We were arrested last February 6 2010 while undergoing community health
training. The arrest was based on a defective warrant. In detention, we were
subjected to physical and psychological torture while kept blindfolded and
handcuffed in the hands of the military. We had experienced prolonged
torture and solitary confinement. We were denied counsel during our arrest
and after 36 hours of torture. We are languishing in jail for seven months
now.

Recently, the lower court denied the motion for release on recognizance for
Judilyn and her baby. The decision of the lower court is utterly inhumane.
Prison conditions for a baby and mother are very harsh. Aside from 23 female
inmates jampacked in one detention cell, all kinds of infectious diseases
including tuberculosis are afflicting us like plague. Big rats have already
bitten some inmates.

We demand the immediate release of Judilyn and her baby.  We ask Pres.
Benigno Simeon Aquino III to emulate his mother, the late Pres. Corazon
Aquino, to release all political prisoners as a democratic and goodwill
measure.

For the Free the 43 Health Workers! Alliance