PHM-Exch> PHM Right to Health and Health Care Campaign update Aug 2010.

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Fri Aug 13 04:35:52 PDT 2010

*PHM Right to Health and Health Care Campaign update Aug 2010.*

It is time again to give an update where the campaign has gone since the
beginning of this year.

Kenya joined the campaign, carried it out in three sites in the country, and
is now finalizing the report. Djibouti has sent a plan and has not yet been
funded since the campaign has been stopped since May, because we are
carrying out an evaluation of it. Questionnaires were sent to 20+ countries
that have been involved; we got a good response rate and the global
secretariat is now carrying out a follow up phone interview with
respondents. Preliminary results will be presented at the PHM Steering
Committee meeting in Colombo on August 18 and 19. We expect the evaluation
to be finished by September and the new directions for the campaign be made
public through the phm-exchange by then.

Togo got funding to hold its workshop to present the assessment results and
prepare an action plan; they have not yet reported on it; they report not
having been very active this year, but looking to revitalize things.
Cameroun has sent a plan for the same workshop and has reworked its budget
for that; they are waiting for their funding to be released by the global
secretariat. Benin has promised a plan for the same type of workshop and was
waiting for elections to be over. India continues to successfully carry out
a community based monitoring of the RTH in several states. Guatemala has
completed the assessment and we have received a preliminary report. Bolivia
completed the campaign and has just sent in the final report; we just gave
them feedback; they will make a national publication of the 74 pp report.
The DRC and Congo still owe us a final revised report after long delays**.
Mali has not reported on progress despite several emails. We have now
uploaded 7 campaign reports in the PHM website (Benin, Uruguay, Zimbabwe,
UK, Togo, Burkina, Cameroun); the Bolivian one will be uploaded shortly.

Several countries are still in the process of joining the campaign:

Uganda* (we had an encouraging development there 5 months ago, but things
have stalled since then),

Argentina* (2 or 3 PHM meetings have been held in Buenos Aires in the last
three months and the campaign options have been discussed),

Brasil* (the group in Porto Alegre is still moving towards the launch; they
are establishing a partnership with the HR NGO Dignity International to
apply for Oxfam-Novib funding to revise the campaign’s methodology and pilot
it in Southern Brasil),

Colombia (met with us at the IPHU in Havana and we have not heard from them
again),

Peru (met with us at the IPHU in Havana and is considering the campaign;
they met back in Lima and have manifested they want to launch the campaign
after the new modalities of it are decided by the evaluation now being
completed),

The Philippines* (has a draft plan that has yet to be sent to us for
consideration),

Bangladesh* (sent us renewed interest to start the campaign in the North of
the country, but no new developments to report),

Nepal* (the PHM circle met last Sept and agreed to launch the campaign;
delays have followed with us insisting they get the campaign organized; no
progress can be reported), and

Pakistan* (no new developments since last contacts last year).

Gabon was recently funded and should be starting nw.

Some countries still have an ongoing campaign*: Burkina Faso, South Africa,
Mali and  India.

Countries that have already submitted their campaign reports (approved) and
are planning to hold a national hearing to present the results (for which we
can help them with some seed money): Benin, Burkina and Togo; now also
Bolivia and Guatemala.

_________

*:   These countries have set up a new national PHM circle.

**: Changes requested are to better adapt the reports to the HR-based
framework. In general, the reports do give a good picture of the RTH
situation, but often fall short of making truly HR-based recommendations
that mobilize claim holders to demand changes and work with duty bearers for
them to live up to their obligations.

Efforts to fundraise for the campaign will be coordinated with the global
secretariat.

HR and RTH work are still being placed more at the center of PHM work
worldwide and we are still hoping we will be able to hire a co-coordinator
for the campaign.

The cadres involved in the campaign in the francophone countries of North,
Central and West Africa are still expected to attend an International
People’s Health University (IPHU) session for training, now tentatively in
Lebanon in 2011 (schedule has not been set yet).

Our regional coordinators for francophone Africa and South Asia (S. Nyombo
and Kamayani) are active and helping.

*Claudio (campaign coordinator) is available to skype with anybody on
campaign related issues at the address clauviet. General information on the
campaign can be found at *www.phmovement.org  *following the link to
‘campaigns’.*