PHM-Exch> stop sponsorship of the International Pediatric Association's Congress in Johannesburg

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Thu Aug 5 11:43:53 PDT 2010

You might be interested in the  "Open Letter" sent by IBFAN to the
organisers of the International Pediatric Association's Congress that just
started today in Johannesburg, South Africa. Please forward it to
like-minded medical professionals you know. Slowly but surely a time will
come when scientific meetings are no longer singing to the tune of the
sponsors...

We have a colorful A4 page with evidence of violations by each of the 5
sponsors of the IPA Congress. It is not attached for fear of overloading
your mailboxes but we shall happily send it you on request.

Best wishes, especially to those we have not seen for ages.

Annelies Allain
IBFAN-ICDC
Penang, Malaysia

Find out the latest about Code related happenings in our free online
newsletter – www.ibfan.org/art/LU-june2010.pdf

Open Letter to IPA

In 2005 when IPA drew up guidelines to govern its relationship with
industry, IBFAN

(International Baby Food Action Network) saw this as positive support for
protecting

breastfeeding and adhering to the International Code of Marketing of
Breastmilk Substitutes

and subsequent relevant World Health Assembly resolutions (the Code). IBFAN
has upheld

the IPA guidelines as an example for other professional associations to
emulate and avoid

In 2007, the IPA Congress in Athens was heavily sponsored by the baby food
industry but

IBFAN was led to believe that future conferences would be free of such
sponsorship.

However, it has now come to our attention that five baby food companies are
appearing as

sponsors and exhibitors at the IPA Congress due to be held in Johannesburg
(4-9 August

2010). In its Congress materials IPA has stated that it abides by the
International Code of

Marketing of Breastmilk Substitutes but will allow “special formulas” to be
promoted. This

is incongruent as the Code makes no distinction between different types of
breastmilk

substitutes. All breastmilk substitutes, including infant formula, fall
within the scope and

may not be advertised or promoted in any way.

Baby food companies have billions of dollars (current value of the baby food
market is US$

31 billion) to compete with the promotion of breastmilk. Breastfeeding
advocates work on a

shoe string and only have the power of the pen. Hence this letter. We know
that you are

aware of the undeniable scientific evidence for the benefits of 6 months
exclusive

breastfeeding and continued breastfeeding to 2 years or beyond. We write for
the health and

well-being of infants and young children whom the International Paediatric
Association has

It is distressing that this sponsorship is allowed despite IPA’s Guidelines
and despite IPA’s