PHM-Exch> "How Poor is Poor? (2)

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Fri Jul 9 10:41:00 PDT 2010

From:    taavi at eg4health.org

I too have been thinking about Scott's question for some time.
Unfortunately for David, I have little experience with fancy formulas.
However, from a practical perspective, rounder numbers can provide effective
images for use in advocacy. I have personally thought that most income earnt
on top of 100 000 GBP p.a. is usually wasted, and should be "skimmed" for
public good. Skimming could be compulsory (i.e. taxation) or voluntary (in
which case we need a system whereby donation increases an individual's
social status). Regardless of this idealistic image, I have always wondered:

1. if you perform such skimming in all the countries in the world, how much
money would you generate?
2. what kinds of things would such funds be able to solve?

All thoughts are welcome, and I strongly encourage detailed economic
analysis of this sphere,