PHM-Exch> Publication: "How Poor is Poor? Towards a Rights-Based Poverty Line"

David Woodward David.Woodward at neweconomics.org
Wed Jul 7 20:08:25 PDT 2010

Hi Scott - and thanks for your interest and encouragement.

As it happens, this is exactly what I'm working on at the moment! The original objective was to define a "Plenty Line" as a counterpart to the poverty line, defined as the point at which further increases in income cease to increase well-being through their effects on absolute consumption (as opposed to relative income effects) - but see below on this. The next stage of the project will be an update and extension of our earlier estimates of the distribution of the benefits of global economic growth in "Growth Isn't Working" (original at http://www.neweconomics.org/publications/growth-isn%E2%80%99t-working), which will also highlight the (mind-boggling) inequality of global income distribution if one takes the analysis to the very top of the scale. This will be followed by what will hopefully be a very high-profile project bringing together the key findings and conclusions from all three.

Unfortunately, however, the "Plenty Line" analysis itself hasn't worked out very well, partly due to data problems, and partly due to very limited capacity (and no financial resources) for more serious analysis; and much of the paper is now devoted to a riposte to a critique of the Easterlin paradox (that overall well-being does not go up as economies grow, although there is a strong cross-sectional relationship between income and life satisfaction) and the idea of a satiation point (that there is some level of GDP per capita at which further growth stops increasing life satisfaction).

The paper is supposed to come out in the next couple of months, but may not now include the actual "Plenty Line" estimates. But IF YOU, OR ANYONE ELSE ON THIS LIST, HAVE SOME SERIOUS MATHEMATICAL/STATISTICAL/ECONOMETRIC BACKGROUND (to review the critique of the Easterlin/satiation critique) OR SPARE CAPACITY TO DO SOME FAIRLY SERIOUS STATISTICAL ANALYSIS, THAT COULD REALLY HELP. I should say, though, that nef ran out of money for this project some time ago (I've been working on this and related projects unpaid for the last couple of years), so no financial compensation can be offered.

All the best

David