PHM-Exch> Food for a preemptive thought

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Mon Jul 5 12:12:47 PDT 2010

Human Rights Reader 244

*WHEN YOU DREAM ABOUT HUMAN RIGHTS ALONE, IT IS JUST A DREAM; WHEN YOU DREAM
WITH OTHERS, IT PRE-EMPTS REALITY*. (R. Pereira G.)

-Martin Luther King did not say “I have a nightmare”. (L. Stoddard)

-Our future may be beyond our vision, but not beyond our control. (Senator
Edward M.  Kennedy)

History is not a good predictor of the future. Our institutions and our
ethics come from a different historical era and have not yet been updated to
knit together a globally stable society. So I’d say that, for human rights
(HR), we can safely conclude we find ourselves at a watershed of history.

Moreover, since in politics one should never let a serious crisis go to
waste, this is the (belated) time to take bold steps. It is not by pushing
for more control, more purity of intentions or more money that deepening HR
violations will be avoided; to pretend being able to do more through these
‘pushes’ is to commit a sin of ignorance.

To see the full Reader, go to:

http://wp.me/plAxa-1au

Claudio