PHM-Exch> Social Medicine Course in Northern Uganda

Michael Westerhaus michael_westerhaus at yahoo.com
Mon Jun 14 07:50:55 PDT 2010

Greetings People's Health Movement,

I would like to send out an advertisement to all members about a social medicine course held annually in Northern Uganda that I think would be of great interest to PHM members.  PHM member Dr. Lanny Smith has previously lectured in the course.   Please distribute widely. Thanks!

****We invite you to apply for the second annual Beyond the Biological Basis of Disease: The Social and Economic Causation of Illness, an on-site immersion course in social medicine offered at Lacor Hospital in Gulu, Uganda from January 10, 2011 through February 4, 2011.  This intensive course designed for 15 international medical students (clinical years) and 15 Ugandan medical students (3rd-5th year) from Gulu University intersects the study of clinical medicine in a resource-poor setting with social medicine topics such as globalization, war, human rights, and narrative medicine, among others.  This highly-interactive course is taught through a combination of lectures, small and large group discussions, films, community field visits, ward rounds, and clinical case discussions. Credit for away-rotations can also be arranged.  It is estimated that total student costs for the course will be $2650.  This total includes roundtrip travel to Uganda from
 the US ($1700), full room and board in the hospital guesthouse ($500), and a course fee ($450).

For more information, we invite you to read the attached prospectus and view the short video about this year’s course, available at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLHGpY4EDwg

If you have any questions or are interested in applying, please email us at social.medicine at yahoo.com.  Applications are due July 30, 2010.

Sincerely,
Michael Westerhaus, MD, MA