PHM-Exch> Is this something to be denounced and opposed? (2)

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Fri Apr 30 08:49:15 PDT 2010

UN and private sector:

From: Alison Katz katz.alison at gmail.com

In my view,, yes. And we need to repeat the clarification *ad infinitum*,
that *of course there are interactions with the private sector*, but they
are very carefully constructed and conceived for particular purposes in
order precisely to avoid undue influence (as Judith Richter has written and
explained many times). And they are not partners, because partners must
share the same goals.

 Actually, properly understood, they are servants to a public cause, or
SHOULD BE, when called upon in these interactions.

 These partnerships must be denounced, because they simply increase the
influence of TNCs, who then capture both public institutions and public
policy, and, of course, simultaneously offer greater opportunities for
profit making.

 I will re-post our PHM position paper on this. It was very carefully
prepared and had Judith Richter’s approval as it was based on her work.

We should post it  on the exchange as a reminder that PHM has given much
thought to these arrangements. It is a critically important issue today in
international health. It was prepared for a WHO meeting (however
dismissively it was presented at the last minute).

no one else has any money” this is very poor reasoning indeed. The TNCs have
exerted huge pressure on governments and succeeded in reducing taxes on
their activities --hugely so over the past 30 years. It is claiming a
"politique des caisses vides”.  But if these entities (and others) were
taxed appropriately, the cash boxes of governments would not be so empty.

So, a fair tax base is an integral part to the answer. Publicly funded UN,
free of TNCs, through fair taxation.

 Re phm-exchange posting: A private (sector) affair...

The United Nations acknowledge the business community as an essential
partner in reaching the MDG goals. In 2009, a resolution "Towards global
partnerships" was adopted by the General Assembly. The UN Secretary-General
Ban Ki-Moon, in his recent report for the General Assembly (Keeping the
promise: a forward-looking review to promote an agreed action agenda to
achieve the MDGs by 2015) clearly recognizes a role of the private sector
for the achievement of the MDGs. The SG also states that the UN will release
a framework for strategic business action in support of the MDGs.

On 13 and 14 April, a meeting of the the UN System Private Sector Focal
Points took place in Geneva, co-hosted by The Global Compact, UNICEF, UNDP,
ILO and OCHA.

Many UN Agencies have already engaged in partnerships with the private
sector, e.g. UNICEF partners with Proctor and Gamble's 'Pampers', WFP
partners with Yum Brand.  A lot more examples of UN-private partnerships
can  be found on the new UN business website. The 10 principles (Human
Rights, Labour, Environment, Anti-Corruption) of the UN Global Compact can
be found there too.