PHM-Exch> Food for an overlooked thought (4) 2 replies

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Sat Apr 17 01:55:11 PDT 2010

From: Sarah Walpole argotomunky at yahoo.co.uk

excerpts

 As you recognise, though, there are many good ideas out there that haven't
been approved and the peer-reviewed ideas aren't necessarily the best, and
certainly won't always be the best.

Whilst "star speakers" have valuable ideas, it is the ideas, not the
speakers that we should be focusing on. There is increasing recognition of
the need for more participative methods in conferences, such as smaller
groups sessions. It's very difficult on very large scale and under time
pressures.

Things could be better through
- ensuring effective structures for meetings - representative individuals
present, working on a local scale wherever possible and sharing
ideas/information/outcomes with other groups by email/other communication
channels (benefits in terms of time, sustainability and involvement)
- learning and disseminating good facilitation techniques to enable small
groups to work effectively
- trying to break away from our engrained leaning towards "achievement" and
value only in recognised channels (many of which are inaccessible to people
with great ideas) - recognising good ideas from the "non-star" speakers, and
the ones who don't even get to attend the conference
- trying not to promote ourselves through these channels (very difficult, as
we still need to use them to get the message out, and because we can't help
but assign value to ourselves through them!)