PHM-Exch> Food for an overlooked thought (3)

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Thu Apr 15 01:25:30 PDT 2010

From: Ronald Labonte rlabonte at uottawa.ca

 I do agree about the problem of the ‘star speakers.’ However, the problem
is less ‘that academics tend to armchair theorising’ (a comment which risks
undermining the potential political role of good theories and good evidence
in advocacy) than the media tend to create ‘star’ armchair theorists. Yes,
we need to keep working hard to have the voices of the non-celebrities heard
in public discourse. But there some of the ‘star speakers’ whose opinions
can be quite critical and useful to have aired and legitimated; and I would
not want to drive a wedge between ‘us’ and ‘them.’