PHM-Exch> Lay or community health workers can improve the health of children (8)

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Mon Apr 12 02:37:16 PDT 2010

----------
From: Wendy Holmes holmes at burnet.edu.au

Another example is the volunteer posyandu cadres in Indonesia, sustained for
over 20 years, not perfect, varied experiences in different parts of
Indonesia and at different times, but they have made a huge contribution.

I would also challenge the suggestion that lay health workers should not be
supported by government, in addition to support from the community.
 Governments carry the responsibility for providing health care to their
citizens - it is reasonable for them to play a role in supporting, training,
supervising and providing incentives, or allowances, to lay or community
health workers.

But this is a big topic - a useful paper that complements the Cochrane
review was prepared by Uta Lehmann and David Sanders for WHO in 2007:
Community health workers: What do we know about them? The state of the
evidence on programmes, activities, costs and impact on health outcomes of
using community health workers.  A report by Uta Lehmann and David Sanders,
School of Public Health, University of the Western Cape, available at:
www.who.int/hrh/documents/community_health_workers.pdf