PHM-Exch> Philippines: For Immediate release: Statement of Dr. Merry Mia-Clamor in their detention camp

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Wed Apr 7 19:31:01 PDT 2010

-
From: CHD ManCom chdmancom at gmail.com

*Statement During the Visit of DOH Sec. Cabral and Her Colleagues on March
19, 2010.*

* **By Dr. Merry B. Mia-Clamor, one of 43 health workers illegally arrested
*

*on February 6, 2010 and detained in Camp Gen. Mateo Capinpin in Tanay,
Rizal*

 (Dr. Merry is the Director of the Health Education, Training and Services
of the Council for Health and Development and has served and trained
thousands of patients and health workers in the urban and rural areas.  She
was also very active in rendering health services to the victims of Ondoy
ang Pepeng in 2009)

* *The visit of DOH Secretary Cabral and doctors from the Philippine Medical
Association, Philippine General Hospital (& some from the army) and my son’s
pediatrician, Dr. Abad has made me decide to finally break my silence.

 Since our arrest last February 6 in Morong, there were only few occasions
where I speak my heart’s content, few times where I let out the words inside
my head. It is as if my feelings and thoughts were locked with me here in my
detention cell. Maybe it’s my unconscious attempt to self-preservation - - -
to keep my sanity intact! Why? There is no good reason for our captors in
doing what they did then!

 As I told them, every time I recall the day we were illegally arrested and
detained is in itself a torture for me. The shouting, the guns pointing at
us, the blindfold, the handcuffed, the nasty interrogations and threats and
the feeling of helplessness and futility in front of all the irregularities
in the  process. These would make my breathing heavy and my feet cold. The
mere sound of gate or doors opening awakes and alerts me. The thoughts of my
children being taken cared of only by their *yaya* are unbearable.

 We are just ordinary citizens trying to learn and make our contributions to
our communities. We are not playing heroes who try to save the world and be
recognized by doing so. It is enough for us to help alleviate pain, care for
the sick and at times save lives. Just a simple smile or thanks as
appreciation. Surely this is also the sentiment of our fellow community
doctors, nurses and paramedics and health workers.

 It is our hope that this incident (detention) would not discourage all
those who are out there serving in the farthest and remote communities. For
me surely (Morong 43) won’t be deterred in continuing our endeavor. It is
now more than ever that we should be resolved to go on with what we do
because we have the whole world behind supporting our humble mission of
bringing health to the needy -- proving that our efforts are not in vain.

 To my beloved colleagues, our utmost appreciation to all of your support
and concern. I have always been proud that I belong in this noble
profession. But I’ve never been this honored and inspired as I am right now.
That our institution (medical) – with the most looked up to and respected
people is united in seeking justice during this time that our duties are put
into a test. That we are one in our goal of serving the people as inscribed
in the Article 1 Section 1 of our medical ethics “the primary objective of
the practice of medicine is service to mankind, irrespective of race, creed
or political affiliation. In its practice, reward or financial gain should
be a subordinate consideration.”