PHM-Exch> WHA

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Tue Mar 30 01:51:33 PDT 2010

From: bala at haiap.org bala at haiap.org

A mail from HAI Global is appended.  Please read the letter to Dr Margaret
Chan, Director General, WHO.  It will be a sad day if NGOs are denied to
have their briefings.

Please write letters expressing your deep disappointment and requesting her
to reconsider the decision and allow NGO briefings.

[Health Action International (HAI) is an independent, global network working
to increase access to essential medicines and improve their rational use].

 As those who have now received their invitation to WHA will know, it has
been announced that there will be no NGO briefings this year.  The move
marks a new low in the erosion of the NGO voice at WHO.

On this occasion I think WHO should receive any number of letters from NGO’s
and possibly from member states, to insist that the right to hold briefings
is reinstated. Attached is a copy of a letter HAI is writing to Margaret
Chan asking her to reconsider the decision and reinstate ‘side-events’ for
NGOs.  I do hope that you will feel able to write in similar vein.

Dr Tim Reed, Director

*HAI Global*

**

23rd March 2010

Dear Dr Chan,

*Sixty-Third World Health Assembly – Practical Information to delegates of *

*Non-Government Organisations (NGOs)*

* *

I am in receipt of an official invitation for delegates of Health Action
International (HAI), an NGO in Official Relations with WHO, to attend the 63
rd World Health Assembly in May.  However, I am dismayed and disappointed at
the decision not to allow NGO Briefings (side events) in the evenings during
the week of the assembly, and I am now writing to ask you to reconsider this
decision.

As you are aware, there are already many restrictions on the way in which
NGOs in Official Relations with WHO may engage with delegates during WHA.
These restrictions are respected by delegates, but adherence makes NGO
briefings an even more important and effective vehicle for presenting the
NGO perspective on the health issues under discussion at WHA, and in fact,
one of the only ways to reach out to delegates and informing the health
debate.  By removing these ‘side-events’, you leave no arena for WHO partner
NGO contributions except interventions in committee.  The proliferation of
interventions that may result from the removal of side events could actually
slow down proceedings.

HAI has for many years made use of NGO briefings at the WHA to showcase its
collaborative work with WHO and engage in the debates that surround the WHA
agenda. Indeed, we have launched two WHO/HAI collaborative publications at
consecutive WHA (2008, 2009).  This year, civil society colleagues from HAI
Africa were planning to hold an NGO briefing specifically on an innovative
monitoring tool for the Global Strategy and Plan of Action (GSPA)on public
health, innovation and intellectual property.  This most prestigious and
essential global platform for NGO representation is now being denied.

I therefore ask you to reconsider the decision to deny side events which
only serves to silence the voice of NGOs in official relations with WHO, and
on whose collaboration the WHO depends.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Yours Sincerely,

Tim Reed, Director