PHM-Exch> PHM contributions to health and human rights blog

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Thu Mar 11 04:57:28 PST 2010

 From Health and Human Rights Journal HHRJOURNAL at hsph.harvard.edu

HHRJ invited PHM members to submit regular blog posts to the journal's blog.

They're particularly interested in hearing more from the broader PHM group.
Are our members willing to take it on?  The way that PHM coordinates the
details would be entirely up to our broader group. Their primary interest is
in receiving blogs from a range of different PHM members in a regular and
timely manner. The blog will hear from number of voices, giving members of
PHM an opportunity to air their various perspectives.

Let us know who might be contributing different 700-word pieces, what
specific subject their proposed blog posting would address (e.g. short
titles), and when or at least how often we might anticipate receiving these
postings.  In terms of  frequency, we anticipate that other groups will post
an article on the average rate of one every two weeks; so PHM might plan
with this schedule in mind.

Instructions are as follows:

*OpenForum: The blog of Health and Human Rights: An International Journal*

* *

*Blog Post Guide for Original Content from Organizations*

* *

*Q. What should I write about? *

A. We are looking for unique perspectives from the field or more generally
from your organization’s experience working at the intersection of health
and human rights – do not use this space to promote your program, although
we understand that it may represent the particular point of view of your
organization. Posts are meant to introduce readers to important issues in
the world of health and human rights, and we understand that you will convey
this information through the lens of your experience. While your perspective
may be driven by the work of your organization, we ask that you not use this
forum to highlight the work of specific programs. Posts should be heavily
based on professional, clinical, or health activism experience.

*Q. What audience am I writing for?*

A. Our readers are health professionals, scholars, community health workers,
lawyers, students, social workers, and others interested in health and human
rights.

*Q. How often should I post to the blog? *

A. We suggest that you post once every two to three weeks.

*Q. How long should posts be? *

A. Posts can be 500 to 700 words in length. They may be shorter, but in no
case should they be any longer than 700 words. Feel free to include
hyperlinks to other information online that cannot be addressed within this
700-word limit, either within the narrative or in a list following the post.

*Q. Do my posts need to be approved? *

A. HHR editors will review them prior to posting for minor copyediting only.
The HHR blog supports and promotes the expression of a wide range of
opinions, and we are committed to respecting our bloggers’ rights to express
individual and sometimes conflicting opinions. Other than correcting
typographical or grammatical errors, your text will remain unchanged—unless
it exceeds 700 words. Posts that exceed the word limit will be edited,
substantially shortened, or returned to you for reduction. This process may
delay your post going “live” so keep it short!

*Q. Are there any tips for improving my blog post? *

A. The following is a summary of tips for good blog posts:

1.     Have a compelling headline. It should be both attention-grabbing and
informative. The reader’s first reaction should be, “I’ve got to read this.”

2.     Your first (teaser) paragraph should contain the most important
information, with less relevant information later on in the post. Often only
this first part will be visible to readers on the front page of the blog,
with a link to the rest of the entry beneath it.

3.     Be personal. Write as if talking to your readers instead of writing
for a newspaper.

4.     Be opinionated. You don’t have to take a strong position on one side,
but we encourage you to take a view on your issue.

5.     We welcome you to include photos and links to other relevant blogs
and news items, as well as video blogging. You may also want to create a
“beginner’s tour” of your topic by including links to essential articles
they should read to get a better grip on the issue.

6.     Feel free to ask readers a question and encourage responses.