PHM-Exch> communityhealth.in update

Lalit Narayan lalit82 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 21 04:35:34 PST 2010

Dear friends
This mail is meant to be a quick update on the communityhealth.in project,
an online project that hopes to bring together health activists to create a
comprehensive resource on community health and the Health For All movement
in India.

The project started around two years ago and has grown considerably within
the last six months when I was able to devote time to it as part of a six
month stint at the Centre for Public Health and
Equity<http://cphe.sochara.org/>(CHC/SOCHARA's new unit). The site now
contains about 350 entries on people,
organizations, networks, publications and concepts that constitute the
health movement in India.

Here is a quick tour through some of the content
<http://www.communityhealth.in/%7Ecommun26/wiki/index.php?title=Portal:_Exploring_community_health>
Exploring Community
Health<http://www.communityhealth.in/%7Ecommun26/wiki/index.php?title=Portal:_Exploring_community_health>is
a portal that brings together ideas and contacts for newcomers to the
community health movement who are eager to explore and find out more. It in
turn links to portals on People within the community health
movement<http://www.communityhealth.in/%7Ecommun26/wiki/index.php?title=Portal:_People_within_the_community_health_movement>,
Reading about community
health<http://www.communityhealth.in/%7Ecommun26/wiki/index.php?title=Portal:_Reading_about_community_health>,
Films on health<http://www.communityhealth.in/%7Ecommun26/wiki/index.php?title=Portal:_Films_on_health>,
Community health
projects<http://www.communityhealth.in/%7Ecommun26/wiki/index.php?title=Portal:_Community_health_projects>,
Postgraduate education in community
health<http://www.communityhealth.in/%7Ecommun26/wiki/index.php?title=Portal:_Postgraduate_education_in_community_health>and
Community
health internships and medical electives in
India<http://www.communityhealth.in/%7Ecommun26/wiki/index.php?title=Portal:_Community_health_internships_and_medical_electives_in_India>.

The People's Health
Movement<http://www.communityhealth.in/%7Ecommun26/wiki/index.php?title=Portal:_People%27s_Health_Movement>portal
brings together information on Jan Swathya Abhiyan and its various
member organizations, the PHM charters and other articles about the largest
network of Health For All activists in the world.

The History of community health and public health in India
portal<http://www.communityhealth.in/%7Ecommun26/wiki/index.php?title=Portal:_History_of_community_health_and_public_health>consists
of time-lines of health related events stretching back to the 19th
century.

The Public health
legislation<http://www.communityhealth.in/%7Ecommun26/wiki/index.php?title=Portal:_Public_health_legislation>portal
is a comprehensive list of central government acts that are relevant
to public health in India.

We have links to a number of PDF texts of important government and civil
society publications such as all the Health Committee and Commission
reports<http://www.communityhealth.in/%7Ecommun26/wiki/index.php?title=Portal:_Health_Committee_and_Commission_Reports>,
the NHA 1 booklets<http://www.communityhealth.in/%7Ecommun26/wiki/index.php?title=Health_For_All_Now%21_A_People%27s_Health_Resource_Book>and
the NHA
2 booklets<http://www.communityhealth.in/%7Ecommun26/wiki/index.php?title=Second_National_Health_Assembly_booklets>
.

The Current Events<http://www.communityhealth.in/%7Ecommun26/wiki/index.php?title=Current_events>page
lists upcoming health movement related events.

We also have a small but growing Glossary of Health For All
terms<http://www.communityhealth.in/%7Ecommun26/wiki/index.php?title=Category:Glossary>
.

communityhealth.in aims to become a community project of health activists
creating information that is relevant to the health movement. Find out more
at the About page<http://www.communityhealth.in/%7Ecommun26/wiki/index.php?title=communityhealth.in:About>and
find out how you can get involved at the Community
portal<http://www.communityhealth.in/%7Ecommun26/wiki/index.php?title=communityhealth.in:Community_Portal>.
You can also view a small presentation on the
project<http://communicatinghealth.wordpress.com/2010/01/20/communityhealth-in-powerpoint-2/>,
read the communityhealth.in concept note
<http://communicatinghealth.wordpress.com/2009/01/16/communityhealthin-concept-note/>and
much more at the project blog <http://communicatinghealth.wordpress.com/>.
For those of you who have not done so already you sign up to our low traffic
announcement list<http://groups.google.com/group/communityhealthin-announce>andbecome
a fan on Facebook<http://www.facebook.com/pages/communityhealthin/270786162496>
.

Do feel free to forward this update to all who might be interested. For
those of you who have received this mail on multiple lists apologies for the
cross posting.

Warm regards
Lalit
--
Explore community health and the Health For All movement in India - Visit
www.communityhealth.in