PHM-Exch> Food for a mainstreet thought

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Sat Feb 13 03:00:28 PST 2010

Human Rights Reader 233

LEARNING FROM EXPERIENCE: CONNECTING THE IVORY TOWER TO MAINSTREET. (C. L.
Schur)

We may be intelligent, but do we have the experience? If we do, it depends
whether we learn-from and apply our experience! (F. Stern)

            Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.

             (Santayana)

1. As part of a true global people’s movement, we have to learn to move from
being-a-potential-power to being-a-real-power in world affairs; we have to
liberate ourselves from simplistic general global objectives  that lack a
clear sense of direction and purpose lest we get tangled up everywhere.
There are concrete things to do to get us to such a position of real
power…and it is the actions of those most affected –and not just of the
intelligentsia– that will ultimately count.

You can find the full Reader in
http://www.socialmedicine.org/2010/01/31/human-rights/
learning-from-experience:-connecting-the-ivory-tower-to-mainstreet/<http://www.socialmedicine.org/2010/01/31/human-rights/%20learning-from-experience:-connecting-the-ivory-tower-to-mainstreet/>