PHM-Exch> Medicine Pricing Matters, Issue 6

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Thu Feb 4 21:54:01 PST 2010

From: Martin Auton Martin at haiweb.org

The 6th issue of Medicine Pricing Matters, the bulletin of the WHO/HAI
Project on Medicine Prices and Availability, is now available on HAI's
website: http://www.haiweb.org/medicineprices.

Taxes on essential medicines target the sick, who are least able to pay -
this regressive policy, which has coincidentally been discussed on e-drug
over the last few days, is the subject of one of the articles in the latest
issue of Medicine Pricing Matters.

The bulletin also features a two page spread on medicine price, availability
and affordability issues in four Latin American countries; Bolivia,
Colombia, Ecuador and Nicaragua. In addition to outlining key findings from
recent price and availability surveys, the HAI groups who undertook this
work briefly comment on the reality of ineffective national price policies
and propose strategies to improve the situation.

Two other articles feature in the bulletin; the results of a price survey in
São Tomé and Príncipe, and a study on access to diabetes care in the
Philippines. A diabetic interviewed in the Philippines study said it all ' I
cannot accept that I have diabetes. ...I am scared of losing all properties
just because of diabetes. I know that it is expensive to have a disease like
this.'

Go to http://www.haiweb.org/medicineprices to access the bulletin, survey
reports and data, and other work of the WHO/HAI Project on Medicine Prices
and Availability.