PHM-Exch> Food for a like-minded-activists’ thought

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Sat Jan 30 22:03:55 PST 2010

Human Rights Reader 232

*ACTIONS AND ACTIVISM IN FOSTERING GENUINE GRASSROOTS PARTICIPATION IN
HEALTH AND NUTRITION.*

Effective action requires not just an enthusiasm, but calls for a close
rapport with the disgruntled so as to get them organized. (A. Robbins)

1. You may often have asked yourself as to whether your individual
contribution in the field of health and/or nutrition makes or is making any
difference.  This, of course, depends.  Alone, each of us is indeed helpless
to change very much.  Standing alone to-right-the-world’s-wrongs is a false
ideal. We have thus plenty to learn from the lessons of mutuality or even of
militancy.  Individual concern (let alone compassion…) is just clearly less
powerful than organized solidarity. (Tikkun)   Or, to use an old adage,
'divided we beg, united we demand'.....

You can find the full text of this reader by clicking on:

http://www.socialmedicine.org/2010/01/31/actions-and-activism-in-fostering-genuine-grassroots-participation-in-health-and-nutrition/

Claudio Schuftan, Ho Chi Minh City

cschuftan at phmovement.org

*Postscript:* I am the first to recognize that the Human Rights Readers are
often repetitive. But not so in a mechanical way! Repetition in the Readers
is rather through emphasizing the same point from different angles and
perspectives. It is my experience that this is the way for HR concepts to
’sink-in’ so that you, the reader, begin *using these concepts* in your
interaction with others. That, I see, is the ultimate goal in
action-oriented HR learning.