PHM-Exch> USA: Time to Start from Scratch on the health bills

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Wed Jan 27 16:21:43 PST 2010

from Healthcare-NOW! <email at healthcare-now.org>

We've heard President Obama assert during his campaign that if he were
starting from scratch he would implement a single-payer plan. He recently
stated: "I want to cover everybody. Now, the truth is unless you have what's
called a single-payer system in which everyone's automatically covered,
you're probably not going to reach every single individual." In addition,
President Obama knows that we have to get the spiraling healthcare costs
under control.
The current bills before the House and Senate can neither cover everyone nor
make healthcare affordable. Only Improved Medicare for All, a national
single payer plan such as HR 676, can do the job.
If we don't make serious change to our healthcare financing and delivery,
the United States will continue to pay more than any other country in the
world and get less. US healthcare spending is simply off the charts....