PHM-Exch> Medicusmundi Network News, October 2009

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Sun Oct 11 21:38:44 PDT 2009

From: MMI Executive Secretariat office at medicusmundi.org

  *Get evidence into NGO policy and practice!  **Get NGO practice into
research!*

Do non-governmental organisations have to care about health research? -
Certainly we do. To accomplish our mission in the field of international
health cooperation in a more rational and sustainable way, the NGOs which
are members and partners of the Medicus Mundi International Network are in
need of reliable evidence on “what works and what does not”. Many NGOs
struggle with assessing the impact or effectiveness of their programs and
strategies.

Undertaking advocacy and sensitization activities at an international level
also needs to be rooted in evidence. Public health issues such as the health
workforce crisis or the integration of private not-for-profit institutions
into the national health system cannot be tackled without a clear
understanding of what they are all about.

If you agree that NGOs have to care about reliable evidence and research,
the challenge can be expressed in two simple slogans: “Get evidence into NGO
policy and practice!” and: “Get NGO practice into research!” Both challenges
are addressed in a research policy document adopted by the MMI Network’s
Executive Board last month and describing our Network’s approach to
generating, accessing, sharing and using reliable evidence.

> Download the MMI research policy (PDF):

http://www.medicusmundi.org/en/mmi-network/documents/mmi-research-policy.pdf

 *Research Priorities and Partnerships
A thematic guide***