PHM-Exch> Support for the Optional Protocol to the International Covenant on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Tue Aug 18 21:37:22 PDT 2009

From:  <info at escr-net.org>,

We are writing to:

A)    Request the support of national level organizations to lobby your
country’s authorities to ensure signature of the (OP-ICESCR) on September
24, 2009 followed by prompt ratification or accession of this treaty;

B)    Request your support for the OP Petition by endorsing it and by
supporting a letter the Coalition will send with the results of this
Petition, and

C)    Invite you to participate in a strategic discussion on the OP-ICESCR
Campaign that will take place on September 23 in New York.

* *

A)    *Lobby Support*

We need the support of national level organizations to ensure your State’s
signature of the OP-ICESCR on September 24, 2009. Below is a list with the
signing in September. If your country is NOT on the list of countries that
have confirmed they will sign on September 24, we ask you to help us lobby
your relevant authorities.  Please ask them to sign the OP-ICESCR on
September 24 and ratify it or accede to it as soon as possible, without
reservations as well as issue a declaration recognizing the competence of
the ESCR Committee to handle inquiry and interstate procedures.

So far we have confirmation that the following countries *will sign* the
Optional Protocol on September 24, during the UN signature ceremony:  *
Belgium**, Chile, Finland, Netherlands, Paraguay, Portugal, Slovenia and
Spain*

We also have indications, but *have not received confirmation* that the
following countries might sign:

*Benin**, Bolivia, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Guatemala, Ecuador, Morocco,
Nicaragua, Senegal, Ukraine, Uruguay, Angola, Argentina, Brazil, Peru,
Philippines and Timor Leste.*

Finally, we have received confirmation that the following countries, which
were considered potential signatories, will NOT sign the OP-ICESCR on
September 24:  *Costa Rica** , Croatia, Germany, Macedonia and Mexico *

If you want information about the position of other countries please let us
know.

*B)**    Support the Petition to Protect ALL Human Rights *

The Coalition launched a petition in support of the OP-ICESCR that has
generated considerable support.  If you have not endorsed it we ask you to
add your name at this time:

*http://www.protectallhumanrights.org/en/signature/new*

Signatures will continue to be received after the original deadline
established for August 19, 2009.  However, your support will be most helpful
if you are able to endorse the petition before the end of this week.

A letter will be sent by the NGO Coalition to several countries with the
results of the Petition and asking them again to commit to signing and
ratifying the OP-ICESCR.  The letter, however, will have more impact if it
comes with the support of national level organizations of each country.  *If
your organization is willing to prepare a cover letter or a letter of
support to the letter from the NGO Coalition and send it to the pertinent
authorities within your country, please let us know before August 21, 2009
so we can coordinate with you.   *

* *

*C)**    Invite you to participate in a strategic discussion on the
OP-ICESCR Campaign that will take place on September 23 in New York.      *

Finally, the NGO Coalition is organizing a meeting on September 23 with
national level organizations working, or interested in working, on the
ratification process of the OP-ICESCR.  In this meeting we will look to
build a joint strategy around the OP-ICESCR Campaign after September,
receive input from participating organization on the actions and projects
defined so far and hear from groups working nationally on what the Coalition
should be undertaking to support their work more effectively.
Unfortunately, we have no funding available for the meeting but hope many of
your organizations might be in a position to participate. If so, please let
us know as soon as possible.  The meeting is being organized on eve of the
signature ceremony of the OP-ICESCR and taking advantage of the presence of
several members of the NGO Coalition Steering Committee in New York.

If you want any further information about any of the issues above, can
support the letter of the Coalition to your government or are interested to
participate on the Meeting of September 23, please contact us at
op-icescr at escr-net.org.
The Steering Committee of the NGO Coalition