PHM-Exch> Needed: Food to get out of a depressive thought

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Wed Aug 12 21:50:26 PDT 2009

After reading an exceptionally long list of emails I received the other
night, I fell into a pessimistic streak.  I was thinking how the road to
heaven is paved with good intentions.  And this is what came out:

SO WHAT... (IN SEARCH OF THE 'BIG PICTURE' IN OUR WORK

IN DEVELOPMENT)

1.- So we  organize, expose, rationalize, denounce, analyze, network,
liberalize, accuse, mobilize, study,  decentralize, communicate, prioritize,
implement, point a finger at, develop, monitor, evaluate, (reanalyze),
measure, research,  publish, present, advocate, persuade, correspond,
orient, contribute to a list server, meet, declare, assess, legislate,
decree, (reorganize), define, negotiate, devolve, fund, train, invest,
capacitate, (reorient), build, seek answers in the internet, strengthen,
deliver services, educate,  give credit to, (redefine),  provide literacy,
procrastinate, lose our temper, despair, dismiss, reform, impose
conditionalities, ...or throw money at...

2.- And then do all the above some more...

3.- But what does this really do to stop the relentless march towards
pauperization,
polarization, violations, globalization, desperation, exploitation,
conglomerization, monopolization,  transnationalization, 'IMFization',
 depreciation,
masculinization, centralization, global speculation, devaluation,
degradation, privatization, depletion, erosion, deforestation, malnutrition,
corruption, unfair competition, pollution, domination, oppression,
repression, growing gaps, fundamentalism, authoritarian regimes, SAPs,
mergers,  ill-health, disempowerment, growing inequities, free market
excesses and abuses, maldevelopment, social unrest, trade imbalances,
displacements, refugees, tribalism, and  nepotism ?

4.- So who are we really failing, serving, fooling, satisfying, helping,
cheating, speaking for, representing, defending, misleading, pleasing,
empowering, condoning, letting get away with, supporting (by design and by
default)?

Does anybody out there care to add to this list... or make it rhyme... or
help me out of this terrible mood?

PS: Where has the big picture gone?  And what are we doing about it?

Claudio Schuftan, Ho Chi Minh City

cschuftan at phmovement.org