PHM-Exch> Food for a non-rhetorical thought (2)

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Mon Aug 3 22:07:38 PDT 2009

From: England, Dr Sarah (CHN) <englands at wpro.who.int>

Tobacco really brings this into focus. Do we try to get rid of a health
scourge that kills a million people a year in China and causes untold human
suffering or do we promote development including an industry that
contributes 8 percent of government revenues??? That is the question.

Human Rights Reader 219

**

*DEVELOPMENT POLICY (..AND HUMAN RIGHTS WORK) IS NOT ABOUT (ETHICALLY
MOTIVATED) ALMS FOR THE POOR.* (H. Wieczorek-Zeul)

 Development has become hostage to finance. Finance has to serve development
and not, as it is presently, the other way around. (Y. Tandon)