PHM-Exch> UK: Eliminating World Poverty: Building our Common Future

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Tue Jul 7 16:46:29 PDT 2009

From: Ruggiero, Mrs. Ana Lucia (WDC) <ruglucia at paho.org>
crosposted from: EQUIDAD at listserv.paho.org

 *Eliminating World Poverty: Building our Common Future**

***

*Department for International Development*

*Presented to Parliament by the Secretary of State for International
Development by Command of Her Majesty*

*UK** July 2009

*

Available online PDF [150p.] at:
http://www.dfid.gov.uk/Documents/whitepaper/building-our-common-future-print.pdf

**

The White Paper represents a fundamental shift in the way the UK delivers
development aid, refocusing resources onto fragile countries and for the
first time treating security and justice as a basic service alongside
health, education, water and sanitation. Fifty per cent of new bilateral
funding will be committed to fragile countries.

Key announcements in Building our Common Future include:

·         A renewed commitment to 0.7 per cent of UK Gross National Income
(GNI) for international development, meaning a contribution of £9bn per year
by 2013;

·         Measures to reduce maternal mortality rates and potentially save
the lives of six million mothers and babies by 2015;

·         Plans to support over eight million more children in Africa go to
school;

·         Doubling of funding to £1bn for African infrastructure including
transport, energy and trade in the region;

·         A tripling of funding to support developing countries to recover
stolen assets, and new resources to Interpol, as part of a major effort to
stamp out corruption;

·         Increased investment in the Central Emergency Response Fund for
humanitarian aid at the UN

On fragile countries:

·         Helping to ensure that security and justice are treated as a basic
service – alongside health, education, water and sanitation – in the
developing world with funding tripled to £120 m by 2014. This will include
training police officers, setting up law courts and protecting women from
violence

·         A focus on jobs in five of the most vulnerable countries - Yemen,
Nepal, Nigeria, Ethiopia and Afghanistan – where 7.5 million people will
benefit from jobs and economic opportunities

On growth and trade:

·         A quadrupling of funding to promote fair and ethical trade

·         A new International Growth Centre to offer world class economic
expertise and practical advice to poor countries;

On climate change:

·         Renewed commitment to £800m to support climate adaptation, low
carbon growth and protection of forests;

·         The piloting of new low carbon innovation centres and a global
climate change knowledge network.

*
**Contents*

* *

*Foreword *

*Preface *

*Chapter 1: Poverty Reduction in an Interdependent World *

*Chapter 2: Promoting Economic Recovery and Greener Growth *

*Chapter 3: Sustaining our Common Future*

*Chapter 4: Building Peaceful States and Societies *

The challenge of conflict and fragility

A new approach: prioritising peace and state-building

Treating security and justice as a basic service

Generating economic opportunities and managing natural resources

Working across government

Working internationally to lay the foundations for peace

*Chapter 5: Keeping our Promises in a Downturn *

Financing the MDGs

Financing the delivery of basic services

Where next on malaria?

Supporting capable, accountable and responsive states

A new education strategy

Maternal and child health

*
Chapter 6: Acting Together through the International System *

*Chapter 7: Transforming our Impact and Ensuring Value for Money *

*Conclusion – Shared Interests, Shared Values, One Endeavour *

Annex: Will the Millennium Development Goals be met?

Glossary 1

End Notes