PHM-Exch> Publication on Budgets and Maternal Mortality

Morgan Stoffregen MStoffregen at REPRORIGHTS.ORG
Mon Jun 22 20:19:11 PDT 2009

[Apologies for cross-postings]

The International Initiative on Maternal Mortality and Human Rights (IIMMHR) is pleased to announce the publication of "The Missing Link: Applied Budget Work as a Tool to Hold Governments Accountable for Maternal Mortality Reduction Commitments."

This report, co-authored with the International Budget Partnership, explores the relevance of civil society budget analysis and advocacy and its potential as a tool to hold governments accountable for their maternal mortality reduction commitments. In doing so, it discusses three recent examples of civil society groups engaged with budget analysis and advocacy: Fundar, Center for Analysis and Research in Mexico; Women's Dignity in Tanzania; and the Center for Budget and Governance Accountability in India. The work of these organizations, and the lessons that we seek to draw from their experiences, underscore that the lack of real progress in reducing maternal mortality is unquestionably linked to the failure of governments to make maternal health a budgetary priority.

The report can be downloaded free of charge from http://www.righttomaternalhealth.org.

We encourage you to forward this to interested colleagues.

Warm regards,
Morgan