PHM-Exch> Does ratification of human-rights treaties have effects on population health?

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Sun Jun 7 10:17:20 PDT 2009

From: Maija Kagis maija.kagis at sympatico.ca

  *From:* Social Determinants of Health [mailto:SDOH at YORKU.CA]

http://www.thelancet.com/journals/lancet/article/PIIS0140-6736(09)60231-2/fulltext

 *Does ratification of human-rights treaties have effects on population
health?*
 *Summary*

Human-rights treaties indicate a country's commitment to human rights. Here,
we assess whether ratification of human-rights treaties is associated with
improved health and social indicators. Data for health (including HIV
prevalence, and maternal, infant, and child [<5 years] mortalities) and
social indicators (child labour, human development index, sex gap, and
corruption index), gathered from 170 countries, showed no consistent
associations between ratification of human-rights treaties and health or
social outcomes. Established market economy states had consistently improved
health compared with less wealthy settings, but this was not associated with
treaty ratification. The status of treaty ratification alone is not a good
indicator of the realisation of the right to health. We suggest the need for
stringent requirements for ratification of treaties, improved accountability
mechanisms to monitor compliance of states with treaty obligations, and
financial assistance to support the realisation of the right to health.