PHM-Exch> Donors urged to tackle leading killer of under-fives

Sue Perez sue.perez at treatmentactiongroup.org
Sat May 16 20:36:22 PDT 2009

Hi all,

I find this disturbing because the message that this sends in my view
is - AIDS, TB and malaria is getting too much money so let's move some
of it to address diarrheal diseases. It is true that AIDS has received
relatively more money than other health issues, but should we be
promoting what I interpret as the key msg in the articles the notion
that shifting money from one disease to another is the answer? This is
exactly the kind of divisive rhetoric that we should be resisting. So
we should move money away from AIDS, TB and malaria to focus on saving
children from diarrheal disease? You save a child's life from
diarrheal disease, but then the child dies of malaria because now the
pendulum of resources has swung the other way? We need to be working
towards messages of increasing money for everything instead of pitting
disease against disease, MDG against MDG and ultimately trading
deaths. I find this really not helpful.

Best, Sue