PHA-Exch> Countries question IMPACT's legitimacy and WHO's role in drug counterfeits

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Tue Feb 3 02:37:14 PST 2009

From: bala at haiap.org bala at haiap.org

We had serious concerns over the WHO Secretariat using the term counterfeit
to describe problem relating to the quality ,safety and efficacy of medical
products and addressing such problems through the International Medical
Products Anti-Counterfeit Task Force (IMPACT).

The whole issue of counterfeit was discussed at the WHO Executive Board (EB)
Meeting. I am forwarding a mail from Third World Network. You will be
pleased to know that the resolution EB/124/14 which contained the WHO
Secretariat's report and draft resolution has been dropped due to
significant opposition from several developing countries. The Secretariat
has been asked to come up with a new report to be sent to the World Health
Assembly, May 2009.

*From: *TWN News <news at twnnews.net>