PHA-Exch> PLoS Medicine Editorial Board: Please send ideas for commissioning commentaries, debates, and reviews

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Wed Jan 21 07:37:17 PST 2009

From: bala at haiap.org bala at haiap.org

   PLoS Medicine Editorial Board <https://plosmededboard.collectivex.com/>  New
Discussion Topic *DO NOT REPLY TO THIS EMAIL*  Join in this
discussion<http://plosmededboard.plos.org/t/cd/1153040/discussion/topic/show/133841?lpx=1>or
Update your notification preferences<http://plosmededboard.plos.org/my/prefs>

Please send ideas for commissioning commentaries, debates, and reviews

We would like to solicit your help in commissioning Magazine articles

For example, if you have an interest in health policy aspects of obesity,
tell us what you think the 5 most important policy areas are for tackling
the sociaL DETERMINANTS OF HEALTH.

Along with your 5 suggestions for article topics, we'd also appreciate your
ideas for who would be the ideal authors. Keep in mind that we are trying to
be an inclusive journal, fostering diversity with respect to gender and
country of origin. Also, one of the 5 suggestions should ideally be a piece
that you yourself are willing to write in the next 12 months. For a list of
article types that we publish in the Magazine, see
http://journals.plos.org/plosmedicine/guidelines.php#other. We are
especially interested in commissioning debates, policy discussion papers,
and essays.

In addition to soliciting your ideas via this forum, we may also give you a
personal call to brainstorm.

Below is a list of TOPICS that we are focusing on:

 we are keen to commission Magazine pieces related to the social
determinants of health. Arachu Castro has kindly created a list, which is a
great starting point for commissioning. She writes:

"A multiplicity of global, national, and local factors intervene in creating
social determinants of health. Most of them are interrelated through causal
relationships and associations. The list draws extensively from the work of
the Commission on Social Determinants of Health [1] and other sources.

Daily living conditions
Poverty and income inequality
Inequity and discrimination based on sex, gender, skin color, ethnicity, and
social conditions
Social stratification, cohesion, and exclusion
Early child development
Experiences in preschool, primary, and secondary education
Nature of employment and working conditions
Physical form of urban and rural settings
Quality of the natural environment in which people live
Conditions for older life
Mental health conditions
Access to food
Substance use
Modes and safety of transportation
Rapid urbanization
Migration and displacement
War, genocide, and political violence
Incarceration and legal systems
Governance, political and economic systems, and distribution of power
Debt, structural adjustment policies, and international trade agreements
International aid and global health funding mechanisms
Quality of training in the health professions
Recruitment and retaining of health care workers
Access, use, and delivery of health care
Financing and provision of health care, including primary health care
Articulation between public and private health care
Inequitable or non-existent promotion of health and wellbeing and disease
prevention measures
Inequitable or non-existent access to social protection policies
Respect and protection of human rights as defined by the Universal
Declaration of Human Rights

Additional related topics:

Global health equity surveillance systems
Research capacity on social determinants of health