PHA-Exch> PHM’s GLOBAL RIGHT TO HEALTH AND HEALTH CARE CAMPAIGN:PROGRESS REPORT JANUARY 2009.

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Wed Jan 7 21:31:43 PST 2009

*PHM's GLOBAL RIGHT TO HEALTH AND HEALTH CARE CAMPAIGN:**PROGRESS REPORT
JANUARY 2009.*

*Country updates:*

We have significantly advanced in the campaign's expansion since our last
update in May.

We now have active, funded campaigns in Guatemala, Uruguay, the Democratic
Republic of Congo, Congo, Benin, Burkina Faso, Togo and Cameroun. These
countries have already sent in their campaign reports (except DRC doing it
shortly). Moreover, India, Ecuador, Zimbabwe and South Africa are involved
in the campaign without receiving our funding.  We are in advanced
negotiations to launch the campaign in Senegal and Djibouti. New PHM circles
have been formed in the last three months in Mali, Kenya, Morocco and Uganda
and they will be submitting campaign proposals shortly. We have further
contacts manifesting an interest in the campaign in Brazil, Argentina and
the Philippines  We have failed to get the campaign going in Asia and the
Middle East; more efforts will be concentrated there now.

The countries that have almost completed the assessment are now eligible for
a small additional funding to hold a national workshop in which to present
the results to the government, UN agencies, international and national NGOs
and the media.

Any country not mentioned here is welcome to inquire with us how they can
get a PHM circle going so as to launch the campaign.

*Funding: *

The Campaign has benefited from the generous support of SC/UK, Oxfam/Novib,
Brot fuer die Welt/Diakonie and Misereor.  We are now pursuing other funding
avenues for which it is yet too early to report on.

*2009-2010 plan for the campaign:*

We are giving the final touches to this plan which should be available in
the next 30 days. If interested, you can ask for a copy of the same to be
sent to you.

*Coordinating team:*

Claudio Schuftan is now taking the main coordinating role helped by Laura
Turiano and Abhay Shukla.  Sylvie Niombo in Bazzaville is our regional
coordinator for francophone Africa. Kamayani Bali Mahabal is helping us in
South Asia. Our 2009-10 plan looks at hiring a person to help Claudio on the
growing workload of the campaign; we have been negotiating this with the
Global Secretariat since last July. Some of our IPHU (the PHM University)
graduates who have an interest can contact us.

*Communications:*

We have been in personal contact with all the countries mentioned above. We
have used pha-exchange or campaign updates and the PHM website
www.phmovement.org  has a page for the campaign with the RTH assessment
guide already in four languages. We are aiming at having each country with
an active campaign to have a page in the campaign site. Tometissi Pacome of
the Benin PHM circle has offered to help with this.

Claudio is available to skype with anybody on campaign related issues at
either clauviet or aviva108.

*Training:*

We are proposing that national PHM circle members already involved in the
campaign get preference in the selection of candidates for future IPHU
sessions.

*Publications and meeting presentations on the campaign from the past year:*

This past year, articles about or mentioning the Campaign have appeared in
several publications among other including:

*Health and Human Rights: An International Journal*, Vol. 10, No 1
http://www.hhrjournal.org/index.php/hhr

*Accountability and the Right to the Highest Attainable Standard of Health*,
by Dr. Helen Potts
http://www2.essex.ac.uk/human_rights_centre/rth/docs/HRC_Accountability_Mar08.pdf

Global Health Watch 2, www.ghwatch.org

The Campaign Assessment Guide was cited in *The Lancet *of* *13 Dec. 2008, *
"*Health systems and the right to health: an assessment of 194 countries,"
by Gunilla Backman,  Paul Hunt, et al.

And in 2009 a chapter called "The Right to Health: A People's Health
Movement Perspective and Case Study" is appearing in the Swiss Human Rights
Book: *Realizing the Right to Health*, *http://www.ruefferundrub.ch

*Presentations on the Campaign were made at many meetings/conventions around
the world the year just ended; among them:

   - American Public Health Association, October, San Diego, USA.
   - Doctors for Global Health Assembly, July, Iowa City, USA.
   - *The right to health: from rhetoric to reality*, organized by The
   Lancet in London, December.
   - AWID Forum 2008, November, Cape Town, South Africa. (You can hear the
   presentations (in French) by Tidianie Nalbert, Aimee Kady, Caroline
   Mafogang, Blanche Zissi and Sylvie Niombo Ngoueme at
   http://www.awid.org/eng/Issues-and-Analysis/Library/Building-a-Movement-based-on-the-right-to-health-The-Case-of-the-Right-to-Health-Global-Campaign)
   - International Strategy Meeting on Economic, Social and Cultural Rights,
   ESCR-Net, December, Nairobi, Kenya.

Please let us know if we have (inadvertently) left something off this list
or you have seen the Campaign mentioned in the press.

Claudio Schuftan, Laura Turiano, Abhay Shuka