PHA-Exch> We need a new world order, post G20, recommendations pertaining the Report on the social determinants of health

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Mon Nov 17 10:43:40 PST 2008

From: baum0015 at flinders.edu.au

We need a new world health order, post-G20
Fran Baum, David Woodward and Dave McCoy, People's Halth Movement write:

In recent weeks, there has been magic in the air, and the previously
impossible
seemed possible. Following the election of Obama, in the wake of the
financial
crisis, some 400 international health academics, activists and officials
recognised the possibility of a new economic order in which social justice
is
taken seriously.

The group had gathered at a meeting in London (hosted by the UK Department
of
Health) to discuss how to realise the recommendations from the recent report
from the Commission on the Social Determinants of Health (CSDH).

Opening the conference, UK Prime Minister Gordon Brown impressed the
audience
with his stated commitment to global health equity, emphasising the need to
strengthen, not weaken, our ambitions on global health in light of the
current
financial crisis.

This message, together with those of the CSDH report, offer clear directions
for
other G20 global leaders, including Kevin Rudd.

Participants at the conference were clear that the current review of the
global
financial system must go beyond mere financial damage limitation to
encompass a
fundamental reorientation of the entire system, to allow us to achieve
health
equity and genuine poverty reduction, whilst controlling global warming.

This requires a new economic order. But this can only be achieved with a
broad
agenda, and a genuinely global and participatory process, including ALL
countries on an equal basis, and not just the G20.

The CSDH report identifies a number of structural drivers in the global
economy
which undermine health and health equity, particularly in the developing
world.

It demonstrates that developing countries have suffered far more from the
failings of the international financial system for the last 30 years than
are
the developed countries now through the credit crunch and looming recession.

On-going debt and financial crises, coupled with now discredited "structural
adjustment" and "health sector reform" programmes have seriously undermined
health and health equity. The CSDH concluded that health equity requires a
system of global governance which places "fairness in health at the heart of
the development agenda and genuine equality of influence at the heart of its
decision-making".

We are now at a critical moment in human history. We are faced with the
possibility of transforming the dysfunctional, corrupt and unfair global
economic system so we can tackle the extraordinary global challenges of the
21st century. The danger is that our leaders will betray billions of our
fellow
global citizens, as well as our children and grandchildren, by opting merely
paper over the cracks.

We can only achieve the changes required if civil society and community
groups
engage with these issues and demand that our governments take account of the
long-standing grievances of the developing world and pay serious attention
the profound and urgent global challenges of health, poverty and climate
change.

Failure to do so would bring the whole system of global economic governance
into
even greater disrepute, further threatening political and economic stability
at
the global level.

*Fran Baum (professor of public health, Flinders University), David Woodward
(consultant in the UK) and Dave McCoy (University College London) are
members
of the People's Health Movement

http://www.crikey.com.au/Politics/20081117-We-need-a-new-world-order-post-G20.html
 (