PHA-Exch> "International Network of Women With Disabilities"

Ghassan afodafro at scs-net.org
Mon Oct 13 13:12:17 PDT 2008

Dear All,

I assume that some of you including Gender group may be interested in this information

Best Regards

Ghassan Shahrour

Dr.Ghassan Shahrour
Alyarmouk Syrian Society
PO Box 14189
Damascus Syria
ghassan.dr at gmail.com

As you may know, a group of over 50 participants from 20 countries and various sectors (civil society, governments, academia, international organizations and private sector) met in Quebec, Canada on August 26-27 for a Global Summit on the Rights of Women with Disabilities. All IDA organizations were invited to send a representative, and were actively engaged in the discussions.

The Summit was a great opportunity to talk about the key challenges facing women with disabilities worldwide, network, exchange ideas and take actions for us to “claim our rights”. Together, the Summit participants decided to form a new global network of women with disabilities and allies, charged with raising awareness and carrying out advocacy..  Attached and below is the Call for Action presented at the close of the Summit.

As the Call to Action say, this network aims to be inclusive of women of all ages from all parts of the world with ALL types of disabilities.

In order to move forward, an email list for the "International Network of Women With Disabilities" (INWWD) has been set up, and interested individuals are invited to join the email list by sending a message to:

inwwd-subscribe at yahoogroups.com  Volunteers in each region are also collecting names of interested individuals and organizations, in order to make the network as inclusive as possible.

GLOBAL SUMMIT
on the Rights of Women with Disabilities
A Call for Action: Claiming Our Rights

Women with disabilities have been the world’s forgotten sisters. There are over 300 million women with disabilities around the world, representing a huge and important part of society. We face multiple forms of discrimination.

We, the participants in a global Summit on the Rights of Women with Disabilities, held in Quebec, Canada, in August 2008, have come together to claim our rights, through the Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities (CRPD), Convention on the Elimination of Discrimination Against Women (CEDAW) and the human rights framework. Today, we take the first, historic step by creating a global network of women with disabilities, which must include women with ALL types of disabilities from ALL over the world.

We will use this network to share our knowledge and experiences, speak up for our rights, bring about change and inclusion in our communities, and empower women with disabilities to be leaders of today and tomorrow. We invite ALL women with disabilities to join us and we will achieve these goals TOGETHER.

Adopted on August 27, 2008, Quebec, Canada