PHA-Exch> New Guide on the Right to Health and Health Workforce Planning

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Fri Sep 26 02:24:47 PDT 2008

De: Eric Friedman <EFriedman at phrusa.org>

I am writing to share two documents that I hope will be useful tools in
developing, updating, and reviewing and revising health workforce plans and
policies, in order to help develop successful health workforce plans that
are rooted in human rights.

The first is *The Right to Health and Health Workforce Planning: A Guide for
Government Officials, NGOs, Health Workers and Development Partners*.
Physicians for Human Rights released this guide last month to provide
in-depth guidance on how to incorporate the right to health into health
workforce plans.  A deliberate focus on human rights will help ensure that
plans (and the process of developing, implementing, and monitoring them) are
ambitious and designed to meet the population's health needs, that they give
due emphasis to such key human rights principles as equity, participation,
and accountability, and that they cover issues that might otherwise be
passed over entirely, such as the need for human rights education for all
health workers.  The guide is available at: http://physiciansfo
rhumanrights. org/library/ documents/ reports/health- workforce- planning-
guide-2.pdf<http://physiciansforhumanrights.org/library/documents/reports/health-workforce-planning-guide-2.pdf>

The second is a shorter document by the Health Workforce Advocacy Initiative
(HWAI), *Guiding Principles for National Health Workforce Strategies*.  This
document provides overarching principles that will promote the success of
health workforce plans and ensure that they are consistent with human
rights. The *Guiding Principles* are available at: http://www.healthwo
rkforce.info/ advocacy/ HWAI_Principles.
pdf<http://www.healthworkforce.info/advocacy/HWAI_Principles.pdf>--
they are also available are versions in French (
http://www. healthworkforce. info/advocacy/ HWAI_Principles_ FR.pdf) and
Spanish (http://www. healthworkforce. info/advocacy/ HWAI_Principles_
ES.pdf).

We encourage you to make use of these tools yourselves, and share them
widely to those involved in health workforce planning to help ensure the
development and full implementation of rights- and needs-based,
comprehensive, costed health workforce plans.  Please let me know if you are
having any trouble accessing the documents and I can send you .pdf files.
And please let me know whether you would like to join the HWAI network or
learn more about HWAI.

Eric A. Friedman

Senior Global Health Policy Advisor

Physicians for Human Rights