PHA-Exch> New publication: Improving the nutrition status of children and women

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Wed Jul 9 12:17:22 PDT 2008

From: Vern Weitzel <vern.weitzel at gmail.com>
crossposted from: "[health-vn discussion group]" health-vn at cairo.anu.edu.au
From: Arlene Cohen <arlenegcohen at gmail.com>

Please find below a brief introduction and links to where you can read our
latest issue of id21 insights 73 'Improving the nutrition status of
children and women': http://www.id21.org/insights/insights73/index.html
I hope you can announce it via your networks, as I'm sure your members
will find it very informative and useful in their work. I would value any
comments/feedback you may have. Please do let me know if you would like to
receive some hard copies.

Kind regards,
Anna Thompson

Improving the nutrition status of children and women
id21 insights 73, July 2008

The high world food prices that we are currently experiencing provide a
chilling reminder of the vulnerability of large parts of sub-Saharan
Africa and South Asia to hunger and undernutrition. Many children in these
regions are vulnerable to poor growth, poor development and death.

Even before these high prices, child undernutrition was increasing in
Africa. In booming South Asia, stubborn child undernutrition rates provide
a sombre reminder that income growth does not solve all problems.

Good nutrition status for children and adolescent girls is fundamental for
attaining many of the Millennium Development Goals. Despite this, donors
and governments underinvest in interventions to improve nutrition.

This issue is guest edited by Lawrence Haddad, Institute of Development
Studies (IDS), UK, with academic advice provided by Catherine Geissler,
Department of Nutrition and Dietetics, King's College London, UK. Topics
covered include:

*         Why is undernutrition not a higher priority for donors?
*         Public-private sector partnerships
*         The price of hunger
*         Child undernutrition in Africa
*         Nutrition for mothers and children

Read the whole issue
insights 73" and stating how many copies you would like to receive (all
id21 publications are free of charge). Back issues are also available -
see http://www.id21.org/insights/index.html