PHA-Exch> PEOPLES SAARC JULY 2008

Kamayani kamayni at gmail.com
Tue Jul 1 00:21:43 PDT 2008

Dear Friends

Please find below a call to join people SAARC.

It is good to note that health also has got panel within the program. I hope
PHM gets actively involved in the coordination and mobilisation. The South
Asia Women's right to health advocacy and Partnership ( WHRAP), alngwith the
Indian Women Health Charter have shown interest in the coordination and
organisation. I hope PHM sri lanka is actively involved ,we need to
coordinate with each other on it.

The issues  in health panel suggested so far are

Privatisation of  health services
Sexual and Reproductive rights

Jaya velankar is a apart of the Program committee and the tentative schedule
sent by her is also given below.

Please do let us know who  all from PHM can participate in the event.

warm regards

Kamayani

 CALL FOR PEOPLES SAARC 2008: JULY 18TH TO 20TH - COLOMBO!

South Asian heads of government will meet in Colombo, Sri Lanka for the
annual South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) summit
between 27 July and 3 August 2008. Regrettably, this SAARC summit will be no
different to its predecessors in having little relevance to the needs and
daily struggles of the peoples of South Asia. Its agenda will be shaped by
the policy choices of  post-colonial elites, while it has spectacularly
failed to achieve regional unity or even facilitate grassroots initiatives
in that direction.

Therefore, since 1993, social movements and peoples' organisations have also
converged in parallel to the SAARC summit to raise our agenda for our
region, to demonstrate our will for friendship, solidarity and visa-free
movement of people across imposed boundaries, and to manifest our desire for
a peoples union of South Asia.

On 18, 19 and 20 July 2008, hundreds of women, workers, peasants, artisans,
urban and rural poor, students and youth, cultural activists, scholar
activists, and representatives of marginalised and excluded social groups
and communities from around South Asia will gather at Peoples SAARC 2008 in
Colombo, Sri Lanka.

The main theme of Peoples SAARC 2008 is "Towards A Peoples Union of South
Asia" while the sub-themes include women's rights; demilitarisation,
denuclearisation and democracy; right to food, livelihood, health, education
and social security in the context of alternatives to
neo-liberalism; environmental justice and natural resource rights; and South
Asian solidarity with anti-imperialist struggles worldwide. A mass rally for
peace and justice in South Asia will form part of the closing ceremony.

We call upon all those who affirm the vision of a peoples union of South
Asia to join country-level preparations, mobilise for, and participate in
Peoples SAARC 2008 in Colombo on 18, 19 and 20 July 2008.

For further information contact:
Secretariat, Peoples SAARC 2008,
19/1/1, Siri Dhamma Mawatha,
Colombo 10,
Sri Lanka
or
Email: peoplesaarcsl at gmail.com
or
Tel: +94 11 - 267 2586.

**

*People's SAARC 2008*

* *

*18, 19, 20 July, 2008, Colombo, Sri Lanka*

* *

*Programme Schedule*

* *

* *

**

**

**

**

**

**

**

**

**

*Dear friends,*

* *

*Greetings from People's SAARC Programme Committee!*

* *

* *

*In solidarity,*

*People's SAARC Programme Committee*

* *

* *

*Date / Session*

*Time*

*Theme*

*Speakers*

*18th July, 2008 – Day 1*

* *

* *

* *

Morning Session

8.00 am -

10.00 am -11.00 am**

Registration

Opening Ceremony

Theme Song

(Lighting of Traditional Oil Lamp)

Welcome Remarks

Discussion and Perspective of the People's Union of South Asia

* *

Session 1

11.00 -1.00pm            **

South Asia Today and the New South Asia we want (Eminent pro-people and anti
neo-liberal personalities)**

* *

* *

1.00pm – 2.00pm

Lunch**

* *

Afternoon Session**

2.00pm – 5.00pm**

Parallel Workshops: *Civil and Political Rights*

1.       Demilitarisation/ denuclearisation/military expenditure and
alternative concepts of national security vs human security.

2.       Deepening Democracy/threats to democracy and rise of social
movements

3.       US Hegemonism and Global War on Terror

4.       Nation State & Challenges

5.       Refugees / IDPs

6.       Burma

7.       Maldives**

8.       Contours of South Asian People's foreign policy**

* *

Evening Session

5.30 pm – 7.00 pm**

Cultural Programme

* *

* *

* *

* *

* *

* *

* *

* *

* *

*Date / Session*

*Time*

*Theme*

*Speakers*

*19th July, 2008 – Day 2 *

* *

* *

Morning Session

10.00 am – 1.00pm

Parallel Workshops: *Economic, Social, Cultural and Religious Rights*

1.       WTO, South Asian Trade and FTA's

2.       Livelihood and sovereignty over natural resources

3.       Food Sovereignty, agrarian crisis and pro people alternatives

4.       Debt Cancellation

5.       Climate Change and ecological justice

6.       FDI, finance capital, neoliberal economic reforms and IFI's

7.       Migration & Trafficking

8.       Regional Alternatives: People's Vision

* *

Afternoon Session

2.00 pm - 4.30 pm

Parallel Workshops:

1.       Migration and free movement of labour

2.       Religious Extremism and communalism

3.       Culture in the age of Globalisation

4.       Social sector and basic needs – towards a more humane state

5.       Urbanisation

6.       Health

7.       Education

8.       Housing

* *

4.30 pm – 6.00 pm

Plenary

Indian name to be given as yet

6.00 pm -

Cultural Programme**

* *

*20th July, 2008 – Day 3*

* *

* *

Morning Session

10.00am 11.00am

SAARC Declaration

* *

11.00 am.—12.30 noon

Speakers in support of the Declaration from all the South Asian Countries

* *

12..30 pm – 1.00 pm

Eminent Personalities:

from Asia

* *

Walden Bello and Leila Khaled

Afternoon Session

1.00pm – 2.00 pm

Lunch and Preparation for mass rally**

* *

2.00pm - 4.30 pm

Mass Rally

Vote of Thanks:

* *

5.00pm --

Cultural programme

* *

*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*+*
Focus on the Global South, India

A - 201, Kailash Apartments,
Juhu Church Road, Juhu,
Mumbai - 400 049. India

Tel : +91-22-6592 1141 / 51
Telefax : +91-22-2625 4347

--
We have to start looking at the world through women's eyes' how are human
rights, peace and development defined from the perspective of the lives of

Adv  Kamayani Bali Mahabal
South Asia Advocacy Coordinator
Women's Health and Rights Advocacy Partnership (WHRAP)
Asian-Pacific Resource and Research Centre For Women (ARROW)
Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
website: http://www.arrow.org.my
Mobile-00919820749204
skype:lawyercumactivist