PHA-Exch> Piot: a good organization man ? (5)

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Sun Jun 15 11:18:40 PDT 2008

From: Vandana Prasad chaukhat at yahoo.com  PHM India

we are facing exactly this kind of thing from unicef, usaid, gain, world
bank, ifpri, micronutrients initiative et al  in the area of policies
related to child nutrition in india - an attempt to completely negate the
structural inequities that lead to malnutrition, in favour of segmented and
fractured strategies that definitely benefit the corporate world and place
maximal responsibility upon the poor.

the way they conduct and present 'evidence' and research in this area is yet
another attempt to create a hegemony of (mis)knowledge and maintain a kind
of technical monopoly.

during the continuous argument and struggle in favour of good and sufficient
food for children as the most corect objective and strategy (vis a vis
processed foods, micronutient supplemnts, fortification etc in the absence
of food security) some of us have challenged these bodies to sign a 'no
conflict of interest' statement which has been refused, first and foremost,
by unicef....

thus - 'ridicule and villification' touches a real chord - the
marginalisation and denigration of anyone who upholds a different view seems
to be a universal phenomenon. i hope for the sake of indian children that we
are not proven correct 30 years later - we may yet win the battle.