PHA-Exch> exploding situation in Lebanon

Dr.Ghassan Issa arcgi at mawared.org
Wed May 14 04:32:37 PDT 2008

Dear friends,

The situation is exploded again in Lebanon, and from my experience since 1973 I believe that the difference between war and civil war is the same as the difference between war and peace.

After this 1st round of confessional sectarian civil fighting that lasted for the whole of last week, I am pleased to tell you that all ARC (my organization the Arab Resources Collective) staff and their families are safe.

Beirut is quiet today. In Ras Beirut, where the offices are located, some shops are open, and even some cafe's. However movement is very shy. Universities and schools in West Beirut are still closed. Some of the main streets are blocked with sand and rocks.

Many have left the city for safety in areas not affected by the clashes but some had to move on when tensions widened. Only 4 of the staff manage to come to the office because they live in a few hundred meters away, and then for a few hours. Needless to say that focusing is hard to come by. Many are working from home (wherever home is now) thanks to the internet and telephony.

This allows some of the activities to continue though with diminished efficiency. Children have suffered most and so did their parents who need to support them all the time. Most of organizations we work with are having similar problems.

More than half of the staff live in the suburbs or towns around Beirut. Others live in areas where clashes took place and/or are within firing range. All had to move to safer places.

Judging by demands and counter demands, it is difficult to predict an end, at this stage. It is hoped that the Arab League Commission will be able to start negotiations towards a compromise that reflects not only the changes on the ground but also succeeds in "inventing" a stable situation, at least one that can hold for some time to come.

It should be a compromise that allows people to go back to their homes, ensures safe routes to work and school and allows neighbors to go back to living together, something they proved to want to stick to if and when left alone or when allowed to have their voice heard.

We thank all those who contacted us for their concern and hope to keep you updated as frequently as possible.

Kind regards and salamaat,
Ghassan (for ARC’s staff)