PHA-Exch> Big Pharma Digs In (3)

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Mon May 12 17:31:24 PDT 2008

From: George Kent kent at hawaii.edu

The effects of excessive corporate control are already documented quite well
in some sectors. Sometimes it leads to significant public pressure, but
sometimes not. For example, there is a vociferous movement against GMOs in
the US, but no comparably strong movement against infant formula.
Documenting problems does not automatically lead to vigorous responses. This
is blatantly evident in the area of human rights.

Yes. I would say there is a similar need to redesign the global
food/nutrition system. Dignataries will go to Rome next month to find ways
to quell the food riots and put a few patches on the system, but few people
will acknowledge that the basic system needs to be redesigned.

It is very clear that national governments and international agencies are
not going to take the lead in doing this design work. The initiative must
come from civil society. This means that we have to get beyond the
critiques, and give more attention to formulating positive proposals that
are really workable.