PHA-Exch> Statement on Innovation and Intellectual Property (2)

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Wed May 7 08:42:39 PDT 2008

   From:    mtumusiime at ug.earo.crs.org   Uganda

I must say that this article is a reflection of what I anticipated right
from the beginning. The art of exclusion is perfected daily by the
perpetuators to ensure that 'those that have, remained-with, and those that
don't have remained with nothing'.  I want to highlight the very good
paragraph below as we share the same views about rights and their impact on
social justice. Reading such articles that point out a small discontent
about rights abuses  keeps billions of us in the developing world sober and
waiting for a just and fair world.

 "Developing Countries Forced to Negotiate Away Text

  In the face of such an onslaught, developing country delegations have
 had to defend their positions, virtually with their backs to the wall.
 Their ability to do so has been compromised by the relative *small*
 *sizes* of their delegations, and the *limited expertise* they have been
able
 to harness to back their arguments. They have also been further
 *handicapped by the negotiations being repeatedly split into 2 or more*
 negotiating groups, thereby helping countries in the North with large
 delegations and a *wider pool of expertise in negotiations to draw from*.
There
 have been significant attempts to keep a semblance of balance in the
 negotiations by developing countries such as India, Brazil, Thailand,
 Bolivia, Barbados, Surinam, Kenya, etc. But it is fairly clear that such
 efforts have not been adequate."