PHA-Exch> Big Pharma Digs In (2)

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Tue May 6 10:25:20 PDT 2008

From: Jeff Buderer jeff at onevillagefoundation.org    excerpts

It is shocking to a lay observer like myself to see the backwardness of the
health care infrastructure in the USA and the very fact that Big Pharma is a
key player in the development of the USA health care mess that some in this
country still want to export to other parts of the world. In the USA it
seems like each new week brings new revelations of influence of Big Pharma
on many levels that call into question the ethical values not only of the
people controlling these companies but of those involved at all levels of
the health care and health care policymaking food chain. So its hardly
surprising that this corruption would stretch deep into the foreign policy
making apparatus.

In the USA,  spiraling health care costs seem to be a major factor that is
bankrupting our economy. In this process we need to define the legitimate
role of corporations in the health care infrastructure and how that role can
or should be regulated, considering that the reach of many of these
companies is now not just national but global.