PHA-Exch> Gender inequity in health: why it exists and how we can change it

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Thu Apr 17 08:43:16 PDT 2008

From: Ruggiero, Mrs. Ana Lucia (WDC) <ruglucia at paho.org>
crossposted from: EQUIDAD at listserv.paho.org

 *Gender inequity in health: why it exists and how we can change it *

*Special Supplement of Global Public Health *

*An International Journal for Research, Policy and Practice, Volume 3
Supplement 1 2008*

* *

*          *Available online at:
http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/title~content=g792137052~db=all

Guest Editors: Gita Sen and Piroska Östlin

* *

*This supplement brings together the short versions of 8 reviews that were
written in 2007
as part of the work of the Women and Gender Equity Knowledge Network (WGEKN)
of the
World Health Organisation (WHO) Commission on Social Determinants of Health
(CSDH).***

* *

Content:

* *

*Editorial: Gender inequity in health: why it exists and how we can change
it *

*Gita** Sen & Piroska Östlin ***

* *

*The intersections of gender and class in health status and health care *

*Aditi Iyer, Gita Sen & Piroska Östlin *

* *

*Gender, health, and human rights in sites of political exclusion *

*Melissa Laurie** & Rosalind P. Petchesky *

* *

*Changing gendered norms about women and girls at the level of household and
community:
a review of the evidence *

*Helen Keleher** & Lucinda Franklin *

* *

*Sex, gender, and vulnerability *

*Rachel C. Snow *

* *

*Nurses, community health workers, and home carers: gendered human resources
*

*compensating for skewed health systems*

*Asha George *

* *

*Gender biases and discrimination: a review of health care interpersonal
interactions*

*Veloshnee Govender** & Loveday Penn-Kekana *

* *

*Strengthening accountability to citizens on gender and health *

*Ranjani K. Murthy *

* *

*Gender mainstreaming in health: looking back, looking forward *

*T.K. Sundari Ravindran & Aarti Kelkar-Khambete *

* *

*Appendix: Policy briefing*