PHA-Exch> GABRIELA Statement on the Launching of Playboy Philippines

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Sun Apr 6 13:07:18 PDT 2008

From: Delen de la Paz delen27 at yahoo.com

MEDIA STATEMENT

ON THE LAUNCHING OF PLAYBOY PHILIPPINES

GABRIELA National Alliance of Women is dismayed that while we and
other advocates of women's rights exert tremendous effort to uplift
the image of women, big businesses continue to capitalize on the
prevalent culture that perceives women as commodities. We continue
to criticize any medium that perpetuates the traditional
feudal patriarchal views on women, more so, for the end goal of
raking in profits. It is also alarming that such business is being
launched at a time when majority of the Filipino women are
experiencing utter poverty and as such, more vulnerable to
exploitation.

GABRIELA takes this as a challenge to be more determined and
steadfast in educating the public - both men and women - on the
rights of women and on the just place of women as productive members
of the society in our continuing struggle for women's emancipation.

.