PHA-Exch> From PHM circle in Korea

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Fri Mar 28 13:41:27 PDT 2008

From: Clara Kim gaulsan at gmail.com
 KFHR, Korea.

In Korea, the situation is getting worse.
A pro-market president has been elected.
The Korea-US FTA is waiting for the ratification of the congress.
The new government is pushing forward the pro-market health policy,
including more liberalization of corporate health insurance and profit
hospitals.

After a strong resistence in 2007 (against FTA and presidential election),
the Korean civil society is a kind of 'burnt out' state.

Now, members of KFHR and other activists who are interested in health
and the global trend are organizing an institute.
We feel the necessity to introduce the struggle of the outer world to Korean
people. (Language is the barrier.)
We hope to help Korean think about where we are standing and where we should
go.
I understand that PHM emphasize the 'action' and 'motivation' part, but in
Korea, there have been very much 'actions' and 'motivations'.
We now need to collect more data and make stratagies and proposals based on
that.

Personally, I translated a book of Paul Farmer into Korean. It is not
published yet, but will soon come out.
Actually, it took most of my private time for the last half year.