PHA-Exch> Funding for primary health care in developing countries

Sheriff, Ismat Isheriff at care.or.tz
Sun Mar 16 22:55:41 PDT 2008

Although Decentralization by Devolution (DbyD) has attempted to put more power in the hands of local communities in Tanzania, the system is not yet effectively functioning. Time and time again examples have shown that district officials exclude local communities from decision-making bodies, health boards and committees that are supposed to meet monthly often do not meet, and local leaders/communities are rarely aware of their rights to be making decisions under DbyD. The system is a good one but still young - putting resources may strengthen it but it may also lead to gross misadministration. Something to think about...

~Ismat~

Ismat Dewji Sheriff

Health Equity Programme Coordinator

CARE TANZANIA