PHA-Exch> Funding for primary health care in developing countries (4)

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Sat Mar 15 11:02:28 PDT 2008

 I would add to D Barzagar's comments, that Alma Ata was predicated on a new
international economic order (fair and rational) so that all states could
provide for the basic needs of their people, without outside interference.

 "Aid" is outside interference and locks poor countries into all kinds of
other dependencies which are invariably exploitative. It is absolutely the
wrong way to go.  The goal must be self sufficiency of sovereign states
which is perfectly feasible with macroeconomic reforms for economic justice.
(It goes without saying that if that goal were being pursued, international
aid would be justified to deal with emergencies arising but it is not in
itself a goal to be pursued.)

 Like the millennium development goals, these goals are inadequate and
worse, they are cosmetic. They are far less ambitious than the goals of
Health for All. Financing of health and health services through "aid" is
incompatible with health as a human right.  No citizens of the so-called
first world would accept that their health services be provided through
international aid.

 These are lessons learned decades if not centuries ago. People are not
interested in making begging a way of life and giving up sovereignty in
return for the latest rescheduling of odious debt.  They are interested in
winning and enjoying their rights.

 If any of us want to "help", it is in that endeavour - emancipatory
development - that we should put our energy and money!

 AK