PHA-Exch> Sick People or Sick Societies? - Parts One and Two Now Available Radio

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Tue Mar 11 00:15:45 PDT 2008

From: Maija Kagis maija.kagis at sympatico.ca

It's all in English, but these are two really good programs…people might be
interested …pretty easy to listen to!!!

*From:* Dennis Raphael [mailto:draphael at yorku.ca]

These two 52 minute radio broadcasts will prove to be a great educational
and organizing tool.  They will also occupy two hours in a class!
While Canadian-made, the interviewees include Michael Marmot and Leonard
Syme. Send the link to your local health reporter!

They will be available FREE for download for only another three weeks.  Go
to:

http://www.cbc.ca/ideas/podcast.html

Sick People or Sick Societies?

We are healthier than ever before, and we live longer, but improvements in
health are not distributed evenly. The rich outlive the middle classes, who
outlive the poor. Swedes and Japanese live longer than Canadians, and
Canadians, longer than Americans. Freelance journalist Jill Eisen discovers
that the reasons have little to do with our health care systems

Of related interest:

Poverty and Policy in Canada: Implications for Health and Quality of Life by
Dennis Raphael
Foreword by Jack Layton
http://tinyurl.com/2hg2df

Staying Alive: Critical Perspectives on Health, Illness, and Health Care,
edited by Dennis Raphael, Toba Bryant, and Marcia Rioux
Foreword by Gary Teeple
http://tinyurl.com/2zqrox

Social Determinants of Health: Canadian Perspectives, edited by Dennis
Raphael
Foreword by Roy Romanow
http://tinyurl.com/yptzae

See a lecture!  The Politics of Population Health
http://msl.stream.yorku.ca/mediasite/viewer/?peid=ac604170-9ccc-4268-a1af-9a9e04b28e1d

Also, presentation on Politics and Health at the Centre for Health
Disparities in Cleveland Ohio
http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4129139685624192201&hl=en