PHA-Exch> MAJOR CORPORATIONS TO INVEST IN UN-BACKED FIGHT AGAINST AIDS, TB, MALARIA (2)

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Mon Jan 28 06:48:47 PST 2008

From: "Peter Burgess" peterbnyc at gmail.com

Great information ... The good news is that the Global Fund has more money.

More good news is that the Global Fund has a fairly rigororous process for
evaluation of what it is going to do with the money.

The bad news is that the Global Fund, like the rest of the international
relief and development sector, and most government agencies ... has very
little information about exactly what the disbursed money actually gets used
for and who it is that really benefits from the money.

When you ask the Global Fund for critical information, you get some answers,
until they realize that you are serious about getting meaningful answers at
which time, the communication stops. Trying to find out what the local fund
agents are saying about the fund flows is, for example, off limits to me,
and I suppose most others like me. Pity ... because they almost got it
right. In fact, however, they are not much better at accounting than any of
the other entities in the international relief and development sector.

If I have this wrong, I would love to be corrected.