PHA-Exch> 7th Anniversary of the PHA: from Argentina

Claudio Schuftan schuftan at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 11:44:33 PST 2007

From: "Carmen Baez" <carmenbaez3 at infovia.com.ar>
 Why I went to Bangladesh in 2000?  I am not sure....
I attended a Conference in Cape Town in 1997 organised by IPHC
(International Peoples Health Council, which was later one of the founding
organisations of PHM), Sahsso and NPPHCN and thereafter I kept contact with
with David Sanders. He told me about the PHA and I started to organised
Sahsso people in my province. We prepared some papers that were not shared
at the PHA but it was good to reflect on many aspects of the South African
new born systems at that time and commuity participation. Fundamentally, it
was good to work together as a  group of health activists that were in part
absorbed as officials by the new health system but their hearts where still
with the struggle of PHC and health for all. We fundraised for the trip and
managed to send a delegation of 4 people, besides the group that David
organised. It was a life experience. When we arrived Zafrullah (he knew me
from Cape Town) ask me to become the "translator "of the 22 people
delegation from Latinoamerica! and although I was part of the Southafrican
delegation, I accepted with pleasure. So, I was jumping from the Kilimanjaro
to the Aconcagua debates, contributing  to the organization of the African
and Latinoamericn culture eves dancing for both ocassions and enjoying every
single minute of the PHA.  I can say that, before the PHA I felt  alone,
since there I belong to a Movement of people like me, with the same ideals,
objectives and dreams!!!!
I feel very proud of being a memeber of the PHM.
As we use to say in South Africa:

Halala PHM!!!!Halala!!!!!

A luta continue for health for ALL!!!

Carmen Baez, now living in Argentina

---Share your memories and tell us why you joined the Assembly.