PHA-Exch> Big aid donors (3)

Claudio Schuftan cschuftan at phmovement.org
Wed Nov 21 15:59:23 PST 2007

 From: Ted Schrecker tschreck at uottawa.ca

This is an interesting and important exchange, but I fear it falls into the
trap of thinking that because past uses of aid have been ill-conceived or
actively malevolent, aid can be done without.  On the savage arithmetic that
says otherwise, please see Jeffrey Sachs, "Beware False Tradeoffs," at
http://www.foreignaffairs.org/special/global_health/sachs.
 Aid is, of course, only part of the picture and only one dimension of the
obligations of the international community, if there is such a thing.  The
final report of the Globalization Knowledge Network of the WHO Commission on
Social Determinants of Health, with which I had some involvement,
incorporates a number of useful observations on this point.  It's available
at
http://www.who.int/entity/social_determinants/resources/globlalization_kn_07_2007.pdf.